As of today, we are officially homeowners.
Background: After a monumentally depressing few days involving another house that looked good on the first glance but fell off our list after a second visit, we pretty much stopped talking about the house hunt -- to anyone. This didn't change when frozencapybara attended a promising open house, or when we made an offer on the house the next day, or as we've been madly running around trying to finalize the deal since then. We didn't post about it in the first few weeks because a) we are masters of irrational paranoia and superstition, and b) if the deal did fall through, as we discovered with the first house we made an offer on, it's even more of a bitch to have to explain it to everyone later. And then we didn't post because, well, it'd been a week and why bother, and we'll post later, etc.
So, as of about 11:30 AM today, we have signed a whole lot of papers, are in a whole lot of debt (we're told it's "good debt" :), and are members of the landed gentry, so if this were 1794, I would be able to vote. Too bad the primary's already over.
(frozencapybara demands credit for that joke, which is only fair.)
Details we are willing to share over LJ:
- The house is in Millis, MA, which you've probably never heard of.
- Millis is a tiny little town southwest of Boston, about midway between 128 and 495. It is mostly rural, and despite being well within 495, has a much more rural feel than where we are now. As we are both originally from the middle of nowhere, we are very happy about this.
- The house is a split-level built in the late 60s. It is mostly beige-colored with some brick on the front.
- Pictures of the house, both interior and exterior, can be found here.
- We're not posting the address on LJ. We plan to send out a "we've moved" email to people we think will care that we've moved by the end of May. If you want to know the address before that, drop me an email - we don't mind giving it out at this point, we're just not bothering with the mass email until it's more relevant. Similarly, if you want to know the address and haven't gotten an email by the end of May, let me know, and don't be offended, we're sure we'll forget a number of critical people.
- Yes, we will need help with painting. Also, if you have an opinion on what color the living room should be, let me know. It is currently a horrible greyish pink. We're thinking a light bluish purple.
And now, off to celebrate with a bottle of the good booze. :)